Have you read the reports commissioned by the Gonski Review of Funding for Schooling panel? I will briefly outline the ‘research questions’ each report was trying to answer or assess for the panel. My purpose is to clearly understand the scope of each paper before analysing their findings in another blog post.
1. Firstly, the (ACER) report Assessment of Current Process Targeting Schools Funding to Disadvantaged Students was endeavouring to advise on:
- How do existing programs seeking to address educational disadvantage in schools work?
- Are existing programs effective in reducing the impact of disadvantage on educational outcomes?
- What alternative funding approaches should be considered?
2. The (Allen Consulting Group), Feasibility of a National Schooling Recurrent Resource Standard asks:
3. The Deloitte Access Economics, Assessing existing funding models for schooling in Australia report approach has three components to its assessment of existing funding models for schooling in Australia:
- Development of a funding model assessment framework
- Characterisation and consolidation of funding models
- Application of the assessment framework
4. The Nous Group report, Schooling Challenges and Opportunities aims to do three things:
- understand what is contributing to good or bad performance by our schools and why
- understand the degree of ‘lift’ needed in our schooling system and why this is important
- offer advice on what we know works to lift school performance, which in turn suggests where resources and effort should be concentrated in the future
Your thoughts on the scope of the reports?