The term ends and one would hope for more inspirational news from our political and system leaders. The above headline is from the ABC website and I am assuming it is reporting on yesterday’s memo from the Director-General but am uncertain what it will mean for us in schools who have already been allocated money/laptops from Round 1. My school has been expecting 233 laptops and the wireless infrastructure to support these tools. Does this ‘pull out’ mean that we will not receive laptops or infrastructure. I hope not but am cautious about having too much faith in it all.
As you know we have been concentrating on professional development and introducing systems to support digital learning. We really need leadership at the moment and expectations are not being met. If the Rudd team to do not deliver they are likely to be a one-term Government. Others can comment on the NSW Labor Party’s chance of re-election in at the next state election.
The D-G’s memo I have posted below for those who haven’t seen it:
From: Director-General, DET
Sent: Thu 25/09/2008 2:27 PM
To: @DET-Principals Secondary Schools; @DET-Principals Schools for Specific Purposes
Subject: National Secondary School Computer update – 25 September 2008
As you are aware we’ve been negotiating with the Commonwealth to fund the legitimate and additional costs associated with deploying additional computers to schools.
These costs are real and include things like:
* teacher professional development,
* additional technical support,
* software licensing,
* network access, and
* internet download charges.
Today we operate over 195,000 computers across the department.
We simply can’t afford to deploy an extra 197,000 computers without the additional costs being met by the Commonwealth.
I’ve just learned that the Commonwealth’s work to review the legitimate and additional costs is delayed. A decision will not be made before the scheduled closing date for round two applications on 9 October, and probably not until sometime in November.
Given this, please do not apply for any computers under round two. We simply can’t endorse applications to the program until we know that the full costs are covered.
I remain confident that no school will be disadvantaged by this action. We have asked the Commonwealth to consider extending the deadline for round two applications until after the funding is resolved in November.
At worst, there are a further two application rounds under the program.
I’m sorry that this news comes so late in the term.
Once again, many thanks for your continued support.
With my best regards,
DIRECTOR-GENERAL OF EDUCATION AND TRAINING
MANAGING DIRECTOR OF TAFE NSW
25 September 2008
School Education Directors
State Office General Managers and Directors
Federation of Parents and Citizens Association